Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Get finger nail polish out of fabric/clothing


So, my delightful daughter decided to paint her fingernails and naturally managed to get fingernail polish all over her dress! This was a new custom made dress that she has only worn twice! Though her nails looked stunning, I was not thrilled with the polish on the dress.

I rushed to the computer to see what I could find out about getting the polish out without damaging the garment. Most of the information I found recommended either non acetone polish remover or bug spray. The kind of bug spray you spray on your body to keep the mosquitos & other flying insects off of you. I tried these as well as several typical laundry stain removal products. None of these worked. I then found information on a product called "Lift Off". A spray made to remove grafitti & paint and is generally found at hardware stores.

The next day I went to the local Lowe's and found the product in the paint section. There were different formulas to choose from. I chose the "Lift Off 5" for latex based paint which was recommended for use on fabric.

I sprayed it on the polish on the dress & used a tooth brush to scrub the polish. After several applications and scrubbing, the fingernail polish was COMPLETELY GONE! It took a little effort & several applications of the spray but, it worked like a champ! After removing the polish from the dress, I quickly tossed it in the washer. I was concerned that if I left the product on the fabric for too long, it may fade the fabric. After washing the dress, it was good as new!! No signs of the polish at all & no fading of the fabric.

No comments: