Thursday, May 15, 2008

Custom Swim Suits: my journey



After much frustration over not being able to find a swim suit that actually FIT my very slim daughter, (that's not her in the photos, BTW) I finally decided to make her some swim wear. I also wanted to expand my designs & continue to test my creativity.
One thing I discovered is, not only do "off the rack" swim suits not fit any REAL child, but swim suit patterns don't offer a great fit either! So, I researched & studied & practiced making many, many swim suits. And finally got the pattern fitting and techniques fine tuned. The search for unique, quality swim wear lyras was also a difficult task. One of the most difficult parts of my lycra search, was finding unique prints appropriate for young girls. But, I managed to obtain a nice collection of nice prints. Then I purchased a new coverstitch machine to professionally finish the suits & wa-la!! I am now offering custom swim wear as part of my collection of designs!
On a recent trip to Disney, I made my daughter several Disney theme outfits to wear and thought how complete her Disney wardrobe would be if I made a Disney theme swim suit!! Just the icing on the cake!!
Believe me, you probably don't even realize how great a swim suit can fit until you've experienced a custom made swim suit. Just like our ladies Bras! LOL! Most of us are just "making do" with what we can get & don't even realize what a great fit we are missing!!
For me, it is important that a swim suit fits well and is functional. And of course, it it doesn't fit well, it's probably not very functional. My kids need to be able to swim & play in a swim suit without having to pull, tug & make adjustments. It is also important that the child wearing it feels special in it. Now, my daughter go to the pool & she is always complimented on her swim suit & I'm always asked, "were did you find that!". Other mothers with hard to fit children as me where did I find a swim suit that fits so good?
Nothing fits better than a well constructed custom swim suit!

No comments: